Wednesday 16 July 2014

Protein Treatment With A Twist!

Hi Naturally Obsessed Ladies,

The summer is here and the heat and wind can really dry out your hair especially if you decide to let your hair down or out.

I recently did a protein treatment to help with moisture retention and to improve the elasticity in my hair. As it had started to feel dry and brittle like straw, so I knew it was time I did something if I wanted to ward off breakage.

Disclaimer this is my first time doing a protein treatment to hair, so it was a learning process for me. I used the following ingredients:

1. Egg
1. Ripe Banana
2oz. Olive oil (think I used too much)
2 scope Organics Hair Mayonnaise

I whipped them all up in the blender and applied to my hair started at the ends. I then left it in while I did some house chores. I should indicate that for any treatment or conditioning of your hair 30 minutes is the recommended time to have the product in your hair. This is due to the fact that at 30 minutes your hair would have absorbed as much nutrients from the product that is possible, anything longer does not increase the rate of absorption. It is also recommended that a protein treatment is done once every six (6) weeks and it should include moisture rich products. I will also try to ensure that my next treatment is with a Keratin based product as this is the best type of protein your hair.



Top left hand side picture is after rinsing my hair, top right hand side picture shows two finger twist using Cantu Shea Butter Leave In. The bottom pictures are the end results are taking down the twist.

What I loved about the results?


  • My hair was visibly shinier and was super soft to the touch 
  • My hair showed immediate increase in the volume and texture (my coils were more defined)
  • My hair de-tangled easier
  • My hair was bouncy and full 

What I would change when next I do a protein treatment?


  • The amount of olive oil (if any at all) I used as it made the mixture runny. The hair mayonnaise already contained olive oil. 
  • Blend mixture for longer as the banana also left flaky residue on the ends of my hair. As a result I had to do a co-wash after day 3 of my twist out. 
  • Use some form of drying aid as my hair was about 90% dry for the take down

This is my hair on day 2 and 3 of the twist out. The curls are not very defined as my hair didn't fully dry.





This was first time I used the Cantu Shea Butter Leave In and it was great, I was impressed with how my hair responded to it. As you can see my hair got bigger day 2 and 3 and the more I teased it the bigger it got. I will surely be doing a review of it once I get to try it a few more times and really put it to the test.

Please let me know what you use for your protein treatment.

Remember to subscribe, comment and share!

Peace, Love, Prayers.

The Beautiful One

No comments:

Post a Comment